Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Sodas so far...

So, in the last couple of months I have been a busy Soda drinking adventurer. I'm going to list and rate the ones I have had so far:


RC Cola. I had been told that this was the best tasting cola by a number of people. I didn't rate it... There are 2 kinds of people in this world. Elvis people and Beatles people. Now Beatles people can like Elvis. And Elvis people can like the Beatles. But nobody likes them both equally. Somewhere you have to make a choice. It's the same with Pepsi and Coke... I'm a Beatles person and RC Cola was too much like Elvis.
Rating : 6 Rudys.


Old Brooklyn Birch Beer. This was definitely a unique soda experience. I have never tasted anything quite like this. Root beery with a strong oil of wintergreen taste and smell. It was different. I'm not sure how I feel about drinking oil of wintergreen... in mints it is fine...but drinking mints....hmmm.
Rating : 7 Rudys



Thomas Kemper Black Cherry. Again this was a soda I had never had before. The flavour was full bodied cherry flavour (definitely not fake cherry flavour) and you could taste that this had been sweetened using honey and not HFCS. Tasty... I want to try this again!

Rating : 8 Rudys


Thomas Kemper Orange Cream. This was tasty. Tasted like drinking Orange Tic Tacs - Not all that refreshing though.

Rating : 7 Rudys





Thomas Kemper Vanilla Cream. This was a taste familiar to me. I am a big fan of cream sodas. This one wasn't all that good I have to say. I tasted to much like Ice cream. The flavour didnt seem sharp enough.

Rating: 5 Rudys




Jones Soda Green Apple. I wanted to like this, to support local business at what have you, but I didnt like this very much. I felt like the proportions of everything were wrong. It tasted like an apple Jolly Rancher - a very sweet granny smith apple flavour almost. Maybe I have been spoiled by apple drinks since there are so many good apple juices and Ciders. Also, my frame of reference for a good apple soda is one they make back home called Tango.


Rating : 2 Rudys


Sunkist Float. On paper it sound great and delicious. In practice it tasted pretty bad. I should have known better, Sunkist on its own s not that great, now add a whole load of cream to that... It tasted like kids cough mixture. Calpol comes to mind - basically they add some sweetners to cough medicine so that kids will be more susceptible to taking their medicine. This is what this tastes like. plus 64g of sugar.. that is insane. most other sodas are around the 40-45g mark - although RC Cola was 72g too.
Rating : 1 Rudy (Rubbish)


Jones Soda Starwberry Lime. Jones Soda redeemed themselves. This was fruity, bubbly and refreshing. Maybe a little bit too sweet. I enjoyed this one the most out of the 3 Jones I have had so far.


Rating : 6 Rudys




Stewarts Key Lime. A little too sweet but refreshing and not too tart. Nothing too special or offensive.


Rating: 5 Rudys




Oogave Watermelon Soda. Another one that sounded like it could taste pretty good. It did actually taste ok, but it tasted nothing like Watermelon. It tasted almost pear like and it was pretty refreshing.


Rating: 6 Rudys



Boylan Creamy Red Birch Beer. This was my second Birch beer - I was hoping I'd have a better experience with this one than my last. This one had a stronger root beer type flavour but it still reeked of tasted of oil of wintergreen. I drank this one out of a Brandy glass... I think I'll try and drink more sodas like this as I think this adds further to smelling aspect of soda tasting - it definitely expands that dimension!

Rating: 6 Rudys




Sodas at the Taco Truck....
Whilst in Shleton WA a week ago, we went to get some tasty food at the Taco Truck. To quench our thirst we partook in some Mexican Sodas. alright alright.. this is supposed the unique sodas of america...well these sodas are readily available in America... Anyway...

Jarritos Guava - Deeelicious! Really fruity, really refreshing - perfect compliment to chicken Quesidilla! Rating 8.5 Rudys

Senorial Sangria (sin Alcohol!).
This was tasty too. It tastes like Martini rosso and coke. Smells alcoholic slightly but it isnt. It is like sangria like with out the fresh cut up fruit. Best served ice Cold. Rating 8 Rudys

-----
I picked up more Sodas this week at the Ballard Market and also from the Mexican store in Greenwood... the adventure continues.... Jarritos Jamaica - What does Jamaica taste like? Find out next time

1 comment:

  1. Nice reviews. I agree that Oogave's Watermelon Cream doesn't taste like watermelon, exactly, but it's still tasty. You've gotta try some of the other flavors, though. The grapefruit and ginger ale are probably my two favorites but we've also got a great, smooth cola and a wonderful root beer. And the mandarin-key lime is a very refreshing lemon-lime type drink. Let us know what you think....

    Mike

    ReplyDelete